Skip to Content

Is Your Rental Property a Potential Hazard to Your Tenants?

Leander Tenant Looking at Mold in His Rental Home

As a Leander property manager, it is essential that your tenants feel safe and at ease in their rental property. Ensuring a tenant’s safety can lower vacancies and increase the rental property’s cash flow. However, if you do not take special precautions, potentially hazardous conditions can develop without your knowledge. Let’s examine five of the most common household hazards that, if left unchecked, could cause serious illness or death to your tenants. Knowing what those typical household hazards are and how to avoid them is crucial if you want to make sure that your rental property is safe for your tenants.

Toxic Mold

Molds grow in moist environments where food sources, such as cardboard or paper, are present. The first sign that most people typically notice when mold is present is typically its musty smell. There are numerous types of mold, the majority of which are unsightly but not particularly hazardous to humans. Black mold, or Stachybotrys, on the other hand, can be poisonous. This could cause allergic reactions, respiratory distress, and in severe cases anaphylactic shock.

The good news is that it’s relatively simple to stop mold from growing in a rental property. Using an exhaust fan in steamy bathrooms, letting the house air out, and installing a dehumidifier in the basement can help prevent mold on your property. Don’t forget to inform and warn your tenants about the dangers of mold. Additionally, you should regularly inspect your property for signs of mold. If the worst should happen and you discover black mold, it’s vital to contact a professional right away who can safely remove it and handle the problem that caused the moisture that led to the mold in the first place.


There is no doubt that asbestos is a significant problem, particularly in older rental properties. Asbestos is relatively harmless so long as it is contained within walls or other enclosed areas and is not disturbed. If the walls of your rental property contain asbestos, you must make sure that your tenant is aware that they must not drill holes or make any other kind of openings in the walls, not even to hammer in a nail. Asbestos can enter the house through even small gaps, leading to the cancer mesothelioma.

Only trained specialists should remove asbestos. In order to avoid injury and asbestos-related illnesses, you should not remove asbestos yourself or allow a tenant to do so.

Lead Poisoning

Lead is another potential hazard that may be present in older rental properties. Prior to its prohibition in 1978, lead paint was widely used in older homes. Even if you’ve painted over the old paint, lead-based paint can flake off as the home ages, exposing your tenants, their children, and their pets to the toxin. In some regions, lead poisoning is also caused by the presence of old pipes.

To avoid lead poisoning, you should conduct a thorough lead inspection of the plumbing and water in your rental property. Additionally, it’s a good idea to have your paint tested and removed by experts trained to do so safely if your property was built before 1978. Although painting over lead paint is a temporary solution, the only way to ensure that your tenants are not exposed to lead is to completely remove the old paint from all affected surfaces.


In the USA, house fires are a far too frequent occurrence. Furthermore, home fires can be fatal. 2,620 civilian deaths result from the more than 346,000 home fires that occur on average each year. While dryer lint is the main cause of fires that start in the laundry room, oil and other ingredients contribute to cooking fires. Other major causes of home fires include faulty appliances, electrical problems, and unattended candles.

Several precautions should be taken to prevent fires in your rental property. First, do everything possible to ensure that your rental property is devoid of electrical problems, and have the dryer vent cleaned annually. Second, give them fire extinguishers, functional smoke detectors, and other necessities, and instruct them on fire safety, as well. By adhering to these easy steps, you can drastically reduce the risk that your rental property will catch fire.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is an additional frequent household hazard. Burning fuels like charcoal, propane, wood, and other substances release carbon monoxide, an odorless and colorless gas. When devices and engines that use these fuels are not adequately ventilated, carbon monoxide can accumulate in an enclosed space and cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Mild carbon monoxide poisoning can result in headaches, nausea, vision blurring, and confusion. Extreme carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to irreversible tissue damage or even death.

Through proper maintenance and tenant education, it is possible to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. If you have any fireplaces or appliances that use any of the above-mentioned fuels, it is essential to service them regularly. Install carbon monoxide detectors as well so that you and your tenants are made aware of any potential risks throughout your rental property. If your rental home has a garage or if your tenants have a propane grill or heater, it’s a good idea to explain to them that they should never leave a car running or use a propane device in an enclosed space. Providing your tenants with a basic education in safety may prevent them from getting sick or worse.

Guaranteeing the health and safety of your tenants is a difficult and time-consuming undertaking. Why not seek advice from professionals? At Real Property Management Longhorn, our comprehensive property management and tenant relations programs are designed to keep both your property and your tenants safe. To learn more about the services we offer, call us at 512-580-3099 or contact us online today!

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.

The Neighborly Done Right Promise

The Neighborly Done Right Promise ® delivered by Real Property Management, a proud Neighborly company

When it comes to finding the right property manager for your investment property, you want to know that they stand behind their work and get the job done right – the first time. At Real Property Management we have the expertise, technology, and systems to manage your property the right way. We work hard to optimize your return on investment while preserving your asset and giving you peace of mind. Our highly trained and skilled team works hard so you can be sure your property's management will be Done Right.

Canada excluded. Services performed by independently owned and operated franchises.

See Full Details